Flying Dogs place 2nd in the Battle of Baltimore Tournament

The Frederick Flying Dogs traveled to Harford County to participate in the Battle of Baltimore tournament on April 23rd and April 24th. After two days and five games, the Flying Dogs were able to reach the finals before finally running out of gas in the Championship Game.

The Flying Dogs kicked off the tournament on Saturday the 23rd in the rain against the Baltimore Brew Crew of the Susquehanna League. The Brew Crew scored early and often in an easy 12-2 romp over the Flying Dogs.

Whatever rust they had from the first game wore off in the second game when the sun came out and the Flying Dogs erupted for 15 runs on 18 hits to beat the Chesapeake Red Sox of the Chesapeake Men’s Baseball League 15-4. Matt Buchholz was the winning pitcher and the Flying Dogs had multiple hit games from six Dogs. Dave Hostetter and Tyrone Stansberry had 3 hit games while Mike Bronakoski, Mick Myers, Christian O’ Reilly and Sean Withers had 2 hits apiece.

On Sunday, the Flying Dogs arrived to see the Brew Crew get hammered by the Red Sox which meant that if Frederick wanted to advance, they had to beat the Chesapeake Angels and not give up more than 6 runs. All was well until the fifth when the Angels tied it up at 5-5. Matt Smith came in relief of Tim Martin to hold the Angels in check and then the Flying Dogs bats woke up to score 6 runs in the 6th to win 11-5 and advance to the semifinals. Smith pitched 1.2 innings, striking out 4 and earning the win. Steve Shriner, Dustin Pease and Brandon Roebuck had two hits apiece for the Dogs, with Shriner driving in 3 in the victory.

Next up was a trip to Patterson Mill High School as the Flying Dogs faced the Susquehanna Braves, who went 3-0 in the other pool of the tournament. Dustin Pease made his first start of the year and not only did he pitch a complete game allowing only 1 run while striking out 6, he also went 4 for 4 at the plate. The Dogs scored three early runs and won 4-1 to advance to the Championship game. Steve Canale and Matt Buchholz were the other hitting stars of this semifinal game as Canale had 3 hits while Buchholz had 2, with one of those hits being a triple. Mick Myers, Steve Shriner and Ray Riggles also had hits in the 4-1 victory.

The Flying Dogs advanced to the championship, but had to wait to see who they would play, as the Chesapeake Dodgers and Baltimore Brew Crew played an 11 inning semifinal game. The Brew Crew eventually won the semifinal game, setting up a rematch of the first game of the tournament. Playing three games in one day caught up with the Flying Dogs as they made multiple errors in a 5-0 loss to the Brew Crew. Brew Crew starter Zach Nadolny limited the Flying Dogs to 4 hits, striking out 9. Dustin Pease was asked to go again in the final and even though he just went 7 innings and then endured the hour long wait, he went three innings, surrendering only 2 hits while allowing three runs, none of them earned. Matt Smith came in and allowed two unearned runs as well on only 1 hit. The Flying Dogs were only able to muster singles from Steve Shriner, Matt Buchholz, Brandon Roebuck and Sean Withers.

The Flying Dogs will be back in action May 25th when they take on the FSK Post 11 Legion at Harry Grove Stadium.